https://sileo.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Sileo-Logo-2020-Horizontal-Color-Flat-web.png 0 0 johnsileo https://sileo.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Sileo-Logo-2020-Horizontal-Color-Flat-web.png johnsileo2013-02-27 19:59:122022-05-04 15:25:55Sileo Identity Theft Prevention & Online Privacy Checklist
Sileo Identity Theft Prevention & Online Privacy Checklist
Identity theft prevention is not a one-time solution. You must accumulate layers of privacy and security over time. The following identity theft prevention tips are among those I cover in one of my keynote speeches.
- Review your Free Credit Report 3X per year at www.AnnualCreditReport.com.
- Opt-Out of financial junk mail.
- Stop Marketing Phone Calls at www.DoNotCall.gov.
- Freeze Your Credit. State-by-state instructions at www.Sileo.com/2.
- If you don’t want to use a credit freeze, place Fraud Alerts on your 3 credit files.
- Use sophisticated Identity Monitoring software to detect theft before it’s disastrous.
- Stop Sharing Identity (SSN, address, phone, credit card #s) unless necessary.
- Protect Your Wallet or Purse. Watch this video.
- Protect Your Computer and Online Identity. Privacy Means Profit
- Protect your Laptop. Visit www.Sileo.com/laptop-anti-theft for details.
- Bank Online: online bank statements, account alerts and bill-pay.
- Buy a Shredder (or 2) & shred everything with identity you don’t need.
- Minimize Social Networking Exposure. Privacy Means Profit
- Lock down your Social Networking Profiles www.Sileo.com/facebook-safety.
- Realize that approximately 50% of the worst ID theft crimes are committed by Acquaintances & Friends.
- Set up two-factor authentication with your bank.
- Stop Clicking on Links in emails and social networking posts that you don’t recognize as legitimate.
- Avoid emails/faxes/letters/calls/people promising Something for Nothing.
- Know that protecting Other People’s Privacy is part of your responsibility.
- For more tools, purchase a copy of John’s Latest Book on Information Survival, Privacy Means Profit.
- Subscribe to The Sileo Report eNewsletter and follow John’s Blog.
- Consider bringing John Sileo to speak to your organization on identity theft, cyber crime, social engineering, social media exposure and other topics of information exposure.
Identity theft has become a major, major problem! And living without protection is like living in a crime infested neighborhood and not having protection on your home. You would probably at least have a really good guard dog and a fence right? Well, not protecting your identity today is the equivalent of living in that neighborhood and refusing to even lock your door. It’s so sad that it’s come to this, but there are always tradeoffs in life. Because we want better medical coverage and a nicer car we pay more to protect and insure them.
Likewise, with something as amazing as the World Wide Web there come tradeoffs also. One tradeoff for us having access to almost everything is that others have access to almost everything about us, our information. And that includes our personal information like social security numbers, banking information and even your medical and criminal history.
Luckily there is a lot of information out to help us understand and protect ourselves from these heartless criminals. Here is an informational website put together to help you and your family. We hope you find it helpful. Identity theft